Tuition: Your registration fee covers all instructional materials, food & lodging for all five days, and a t-shirt!
• Daily Events: Worship/Bible study; teaching sessions; legislative and media track activities; dynamic speakers; entertainment; games & sports.
• Eligibility: High school-aged teens.In other words, students entering their first year of high school through those just having graduated from high school are eligible to attend. First-year summer students always participate in the House of Representatives.
• What to Pack: For details on what to bring, what not to bring, and dress code, please see the Policies & Procedure.
• Location: On the beautiful campus of Grandview University, 2811 E. 14th. St., Des Moines, Iowa map
We are excited that you have chosen to attend our Summer Program. It is our desire to make this a enjoyable, life-changing experience for everyone involved. While we expect no problems from the students, it is important to define the boundaries and lay the foundation for expectations and conflict/problem-solving ahead of time so everyone is aware of policies and procedures.
While your student is at LEAD, he/she will be under the supervision of LEAD staff, instructors and chaperones. Our goal is to have the ratio of chaperones to students at no less than 1:10. LEAD staff will be on location at all times. The LEAD staff, instructors and chaperones will clearly communicate to students our expectations.
WHAT TO BRING
• Bedding: Sleeping bag or blanket, sheets, pillow, etc.
• Toiletries: Towel, washcloth, soap, shampoo/conditioner, comb/brush, sun screen, toothbrush, etc.
• Supplies: Bible, pen/pencil, notebook, alarm clock, cell phones (not allowed in administration building).
• Clothing: Casual clothes for time spent on campus, athletic clothing for sports including closed-toed shoes, nice casual, and enough “dress” outfits for presentations and trips to the Capitol or other venues.
• Sports Equipment: Some will be provided; however, feel free to bring your own basketball, volleyball, soccer ball, and/or other outdoor sports equipment.
• Spending Money: Pop, snacks, and/or supplies from vending machines.
WHAT NOT TO BRING
Do Not Bring: Stereo, video, or computer equipment (NO laptops or tablets), unless given prior permission, electronic devices (such as games, drones, iPods, or CD/MP3/DVD players), amplified musical instruments, flammable materials, or controlled substances. If in doubt, call the office at (515) 263-3495 for information. Note to Parents: Please take the opportunity to go through your child’s luggage with him/her and discuss what constitutes appropriate, professional, and modest clothing as outlined below and to ensure no items are brought from the list above.
REGISTRATION & DORMS
Registration opens at 5:30 p.m. in the dorms and rooms are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Students wishing to room together should arrive early enough to reserve a room together as there are no pre-assigned rooms.
STUDENTS WITH SPECIAL NEEDS
Please note on the Health Information & Medical Release Form any special needs that will require any degree of consideration. If it is appropriate, we will contact you for more information so that we can plan for the support necessary to ensure a positive experience for your child. Regarding food allergies, items with possible allergen-containing ingredients are labeled or otherwise identified; however, there is always a risk of contamination. There is also a possibility that manufacturers of the commercial foods used could change the formulation at any time without notice. Participants concerned with food allergies need to be aware of this risk. Neither Grandview University nor The FAMiLY LEADER (TFL) will assume any liability for adverse reactions to foods consumed or items one may come in contact with during the week of participation. TFL will do what it can and within reason to accommodate the special food needs of allergic students. To allow time for possible accommodations, TFL must receive a doctor’s notification at least one week prior to the start of the program of a participant’s allergies and special needs requests.
All activities are mandatory and all students will be expected to participate in every activity unless prior permission is obtained to excuse a student. The final schedule will be distributed at registration.
• Name tags shall be worn facing out at all times when outside dorm rooms.
• No food, candy, beverages, gum, etc. will be permitted in the Capitol Building, or in the courtrooms.
• Please label all belongings and keep cash and other valuables on your person. TFL is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
Issues and topics debated may be controversial or sensitive in nature. Please contact TFL or see the FAQ section for more information.
For more information, click here.